Transaction data can be limited and confusing to end customers, but Unit offers enrichment of that transaction data so it is cleaned, structured, and can be used to build better experiences.
Each eligible transaction will be matched against a comprehensive merchant dataset to provide the extra detail. Enriched attributes can include:
- Better merchant name (“0787 PF LAUREL LLC” → “Planet Fitness”)
- Spend category information (e.g. “Groceries” or “Clothing and Accessories”)
- Merchant logo, with the spend category image as a fallback option
- Merchant information - location, phone number, website
If you would like to add this feature, contact your Customer Success Manager.
You can use the information provided by transaction enrichment to create better experiences for your customers and to improve business operations. For example:
- Improved UIs: Use the enriched merchant information to create more informative and engaging card activity streams.
- Spend categorization: Create reports that show customers their spend across merchants and categories.
- Insights: Analyze your customers’ spending habits to inform rewards and new opportunities for product enhancements.
- Disputes reduction: With less potential for confusion with each transaction, customers may reach out to your support teams less frequently, and ultimately file fewer disputes.
We recommend making the original merchant name still visible to the end customer, for example through an expanded transaction detail tray. This helps provide context to the end customer in case the enrichment is incorrect or unexpected.
Two levels of categorization are available. Examples include:
|Example Parent Category||Example Sub Categories|
|Food & Drink||Bakery, Cafe, Bar, Fast Food, Restaurant|
|Software/SaaS||CRM, Developer Tools, Security & Privacy|
|Transportation||Airlines & Aviation, Ride Share, Public Transportation|
Once you opt-in, enriched data will be available for Purchase Transactions and Card Transactions.
You will receive the additional information as a separate RichMerchantData object within the same API response, both for a specific transaction and/or for a list of transactions. The RichMerchant data will also be available for Authorizations that are in status
Enriched data will typically be available for each applicable transaction within 5 seconds from the time the authorization was completed. Events will be created when a transaction or authorization has been updated.
Coming Soon: Receiving this data directly to your internal data warehouse if you utilize the AWS S3 integration.
If you are using the Unit White-label Activity Component, no further engineering work is required. Once you have opted-in, the enriched data will automatically be included for the applicable transactions.
Statements will reflect the original merchant name for each transaction.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you need to report an incorrect enrichment.