Unit cards may be used at ATMs that are part of the Visa, Plus, Interlink, Accel, or Allpoint networks. You can share this with your customers via Unit’s ATM locations API. Contactless ATM withdrawals are not currently supported.
Non-Allpoint ATMs will charge fees at the terminal (fees vary depending on the terminal operator) while Allpoint ATMs are surcharge-free for end-customers.
|Transaction||Allpoint ATMs||Non-Allpoint ATMs|
Yes (only Allpoint+ ATMs)
End-customers can make withdrawals at eligible, U.S.-based ATMs that are part of the Visa, Plus, Interlink, or Accel networks.
In the US, most ATM operators set their own fees, so the range of fees is wide: ATM withdrawals typically cost end-customers between $2 and $5 on top of the withdrawn amount. The default rule in the market is that ATM fees are paid by the end-customer. It’s also the default behavior at Unit if the ATM doesn't belong to Allpoint.
When an end-customer withdraws funds from a non-Allpoint ATM, only one transaction will be created: an ATM transaction under the end-customer’s account (e.g. -$103.00), including attributes for the withdrawn amount (e.g. -$100.00) and the surcharge (e.g. -$3.00).
Withdrawals: End-customers can make withdrawals at any eligible, US-based Allpoint ATM.
- End-customers can make cash deposits at any eligible, US-based Allpoint ATM
- Deposits are limited to $1,000 per transaction, and there are also daily limits (set at your account level)
- Allpoint ATMs do not accept checks, envelopes, or non-US dollars
There are ~1,400 Allpoint+ ATMs in the US in addition to the ~41,000 standard Allpoint ATMs in the US and ~14,000 non-US Allpoint ATM locations in the UK, Mexico, Canada, and Australia.
A surcharge-free ATM network like Allpoint is only free for the end-customer. Allpoint charges a subscription fee based on the active cards per month, as well as a fee per transaction.
When an end-customer uses an Allpoint ATM, only one transaction will be created: an ATM transaction under the end-customer’s account (e.g. -$100.00). All the fees below will be charged to you as part of your monthly Unit invoice.
We have negotiated an extremely competitive rate typically available only to neo-banks with hundreds of thousands of users
|Withdrawal transaction||This fee is the industry standard, the numbers are publicly available|
|Deposit transaction||This fee is the industry standard, the numbers are publicly available|
|Non-financial transaction||These actions may include: balance inquiry, mini statement printing, and PIN change|
With Unit, you can programmatically respond to ATM use and create custom fees or reimbursements for some or all of your end-customers. You’ll need to make sure that such fees or reimbursements are in line with your Terms and Conditions.
- You can respond to fee transactions by reimbursing the same amount (or part of it) to the customer in real time
- You can charge an extra fee for non-Allpoint ATM transaction (as Chime does)
To implement such flows, take the following steps:
- Listen to the transaction.created webhook
- Inspect the payload for an ATM Transaction
- Respond to the ATM transaction by creating a fee (to charge the end-customer) or creating a book payment into the end-customer account (to reimburse the end-customer)